Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Definition of Obsessed


Dictionary.com defines obsession as the domination of one's thoughts or feelings by a persistent idea, image, desire, etc.  I’m officially obsessed with yoga.

The first step to any obsession for me is reading, studying, learning.  It all started with a handful of harmless yoga blogs.  Then I “liked” some yoga pages on Facebook.  Soon I was following yogis and yoginis on Pinterest and Instagram.  Next stop—the library.  I’ve got a couple of books from my reading list waiting for me.

I was surprised to find Kripalu yoga : a guide to practice on and off the mat  by Richard Faulds at my library.  In my yoga-focused internet meanderings I ran across the Kripalu center.  I have a feeling that it’s a place most knowledgeable yogis know about.  I may be late to the party, but at least I showed up, right?  Anyway, this book is a main part of their yoga teacher training program.  Hopefully it will give me a good solid foundation of knowledge; answer some questions that I didn’t even know I needed answered.

The second book ready to pick up is Bhagavad Gita : a new English translation by Stephen Mitchell.  Another one on the Kripalu curriculum.  This one might be a challenge for me if it’s too spiritual but I’m keeping an open mind.  What I’m hoping to find is guidance for general well-being; new intentions, and new meditations.

I haven’t practiced since the park Saturday morning.  Sometimes life gets in the way, and I’m learning to be OK with that.  My other half is out on the town tonight leaving me with free time to fill.  I already have a class picked out.  And those thoughts are dominating my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment